(Updated May 2016)
The following terms and conditions relate to anybody visiting our website with a view to reading our content, posting a review or using the website in any other capacity.
Please read these terms and conditions (hereinafter referred to as ‘Terms’) carefully. These terms supersede any other or previous version of the Good Solicitor Guide (hereinafter referred to as ‘we", "us" or "our/s’) Terms.
By using this website you agree to be bound by these Terms.
From time to time we may vary these Terms without prior notice. Previous Visitors who continue to use the site after any amendment to the Terms will be bound by the latest version of the Terms.
We recommend that you make a copy of these Terms for future use as we may not retain previous versions of our Terms on the website.
Please note that additional terms and conditions apply to Solicitors using our website whether or not the Solicitor is registered with us.
Advertisements - means all promotions on our Services of any kind including Solicitor listings and banner and other advertisements.
Consumer - means a natural person acting outside his or her trade, business or profession.
Content - means all information of whatever kind (including Advertisements, forum posts, messages, Reviews etc), published, stored or sent on or in connection with our Service.
Review - means any review, comment or rating.
Reviewer - means anyone submitting a Review to the Website
Services – means our website, the services we offer by means of our website and any related software and services.
Solicitor - a Visitor who uses our Services in the capacity of a solicitor (whether or not registered with us).
Visitor - means all persons or entities who use our Services (whether or not registered with us).
Website - means www.thegoodsolicitorguide.com
Using our Services
1. Visitors are granted limited personal rights to use our Services subject to these Terms.
2. We reserve the right to refuse any application to become a Visitor.
3. In using the Website or Services you will not:
1. breach any law, regulation or code of conduct or infringe any intellectual property or other rights of others;
2. publish or send any Content (including links or references to other content), or otherwise behave in a manner, which is threatening, harassing, invasive of privacy, defamatory, offensive, vulgar, racist, hateful, discriminatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually suggestive, abusive or deceptive or which involves phishing or scamming or which we otherwise consider to be inappropriate;
3. publish or send any Content which involves revealing any personal data of another person (i.e. information enabling someone to be identified or contacted) unless that person is 18 years or over and you have obtained that person’s explicit written consent or you are the parent/guardian of such person;
4. publish or send any Content which links to any third party websites which are illegal or contain inappropriate Content;
5. sell access to the Service;
6. sell advertising, sponsorship or promotions on or in connection with Content except where explicitly authorized by us;
7. use the Services for junk mail, spam, pyramid or similar or fraudulent schemes;
8. do anything which may have the effect of disrupting the Services including worms, viruses, software bombs or mass mailings;
9. do anything which may negatively affect other Visitors’ enjoyment of the Service;
10. gain unauthorised access to any part of the Services or equipment used to provide the Service;
11. use any automated means to interact with our systems excluding public search engines; or
12. attempt, encourage or assist any of the above.
5. You must comply with any guidelines or requirements on our website.
6. You must promptly comply with any reasonable request or instruction by us in connection with the Service.
7. We are entitled to impose and/or change limitations on usage of our Service, for example in relation to bandwidth.
- You are responsible for your Content.
- We accept no liability for any losses resulting from the loss or deletion of your Content.
- You will ensure that your Content is wholly accurate and not intentionally misleading or intentionally misleading, and warrant that you will update your Content to ensure that it so that it remains so.
- You warrant that you meet the following criteria before posting a review of submitting any content:
- You are not an employee of the firm that you wish to review
- You are not a competitor of the firm that you wish to review
- You are not a relative or friend of the person you are reviewing
- You have not received any inducement, financial or otherwise, as an incentive for posting a review
- You intent to write a balanced, accurate and constructive account or comment on the service you have received
- The review is not intended to mislead
- You do not intend to write multiple (more than one) reviews about the same firm on the GSG unless you have received a completely separate service from the firm
- You acknowledge that the reviewed Solicitor has a right of reply and that, if you are a Visitor reviewing a solicitor, you waive any duty of confidentiality owed by the solicitor to the extent necessary to enable the solicitor to reasonably exercise such right to reply.
- If you use any features on our site which enable you to share your Content with third party sites, we are not responsible for use of your Content on those third party sites.
- We reserve the right without notice or refund to suspend, alter, remove or delete Content or to disclose to the relevant authorities any Content or behaviour if it is the subject of complaint or where we have reason to believe that it breaches our terms and conditions, or that such steps are necessary to protect us or others, or that a criminal act has been committed, or if we are required to do so by law or appropriate authority. If so, you must not attempt to re-publish or re-send the relevant Content.
- We do not accept responsibility if your Content is misused by other Visitors as this is outside our reasonable control.
- We reserve the right to place advertisements adjacent to your Content. We retain all revenue from such advertisements.
Content of other Visitors
- We do not endorse or recommend any Advertisements, Reviews or other Content. You rely on such information at your own risk.
- We do not verify Advertisements. Before acting on such information, you must make your own appropriate and careful enquiries including as to its accuracy and suitability for your purposes. We do not accept legal responsibility for the accuracy of, or otherwise in relation to, any Advertisement or in connection with any consequent communications or transactions with third parties or with use by third parties of the information comprised within any Advertisement or related enquiry.
- If you deal with any Solicitor, please note that any consequent contract for legal or other Services is between you and the Solicitor concerned. You acknowledge that any legal recourse in connection with such transactions is against the Solicitor and not us. Please direct any queries or complaints to the Solicitor.
- You acknowledge that in using the Services you may be exposed to offensive or other inappropriate Content or behaviour. If so, you must notify us immediately, sending an email email@example.com or click on the “Notify the Guide” link next to any review. We are under no obligation to enter into dialogue on the receipt of a complaint, nor are we obliged to act on every complaint received or to advise you of any action we do decide to take. All complaints must clearly explain the reason for complaint.
- We do not guarantee that Solicitors will respond to enquiries made via our Services (including legal questions and quote requests) within any particular timeframe or at all. If your enquiry is urgent, it is your responsibility to make direct contact with a Solicitor.
Guidance or advice
- Any guidance, advice or similar information which we ourselves make available on our Services is intended as very general guidance information but we cannot guarantee that it is accurate or up to date and we do not accept legal responsibility for it. Before acting on such information, you must make your own appropriate and careful enquiries including as to its accuracy and suitability for your purposes. You rely on such information at your own risk.
- Your account on our Services is for your personal use only and is non-transferable. You must not authorise or permit any other person to use your account. You must take reasonable care to protect and keep confidential your password and other account or identity information. You must notify us immediately of any apparent breach of security such as loss, theft, misuse or unauthorised disclosure or use of a password. You are responsible for third parties who use your account or identity (unless and to the extent that we are at fault).
Suspension or cancellation
- You may at any time cancel this agreement (including any subscription) by following the instructions on our Service. A request for cancellation under this clause does not give rise to any refund.
- If you are not currently a subscriber, we are entitled at any time to cancel this agreement without cause by giving you email notice.
- We are entitled at any time cancel this agreement without refund if we terminate our Services as a whole by giving you email notice.
- We are entitled at any time to cancel this agreement (with or without notice) or suspend part or all of our Services if we have reason to believe that you have breached our terms and conditions or it is necessary to protect us or others or if we are required to do so by law or appropriate authority. There will be no refund of any subscription.
- Following cancellation of this agreement: Your right to use our Services is terminated. Accrued rights and liabilities are unaffected. All clauses in this agreement which are stated or intended to continue after cancellation will continue to apply. You must not attempt to re-register for or continue to use our Services if we have given you notice of cancellation.
- We cannot be held legally responsible for loss or damage resulting from cancellation of this agreement provided we act in accordance with this agreement.
Suspension / cancellation
- We do not guarantee that the Services will be uninterrupted or error-free.
- We are entitled, without notice and without liability, to suspend the Services for repair, maintenance, improvement or other technical reason.
- Nothing in this agreement in any way limits or excludes our liability for negligence causing death or personal injury or for fraudulent misrepresentation or for anything which may not legally be excluded or limited.
- You must give us a reasonable opportunity to remedy any matter for which we are potentially liable before you incur any costs remedying the matter yourself.
- Very important: If you are a Consumer, we shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by us or our employees or agents in circumstances where:
- there is no breach of a legal duty of care owed to you by us or by any of our employees or agents;
- such loss or damage was not reasonably foreseeable by both parties;
- such loss or damage is caused by you, for example by not complying with this agreement; or
- such loss or damage relates to a business.
- Very important: If you are a Consumer, you will be liable for any reasonably foreseeable loss or damage we suffer arising from your breach of this agreement or misuse of our Services (subject of course to our obligation to mitigate any losses).
- The following clauses apply only if you are not a Consumer:
- To the extent allowed by law, you and we exclude all terms, whether imposed by statute or by law or otherwise, that are not expressly stated in this agreement. In this clause, any reference to us includes our employees and agents.
- Our liability of any kind (including our own negligence) with respect to our Services for any one event or series of related events is limited to the total fees payable by you in the 12 months before the event(s) complained of.
- In no event (including our own negligence) will we be liable for any:
- economic losses (including, without limit, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings);
- loss of goodwill or reputation;
- special, indirect or consequential losses; or
- damage to or loss of data. (even if we have been advised of the possibility of such losses).
- You will indemnify us against all claims and liabilities directly or indirectly related to your use of the Services and/or breach of this agreement.
- This agreement constitutes the entire agreement between us with respect to its subject matter and supercedes any previous communications or agreements between us. We both acknowledge that there have been no misrepresentations and that neither of us has relied on any pre-contractual statements. Liability for misrepresentation (excluding fraudulent misrepresentation) relating to the terms of this agreement is excluded.
Intellectual property rights
- All trade marks, logos, Content, graphics, images, photographs, animation, videos, text and software used on the Services are our intellectual property or that of our partners or other Visitors. For the purposes of your personal use only, you may view such material on your screen and print a single copy. You may not otherwise use, sublicense, retrieve, display, modify, copy, print, sell, distribute, download, hire, reverse engineer (unless permitted by applicable law) or create extracts of, or derivative works from, such material without our specific prior written consent.
- For the avoidance of doubt you may not collect, scrape or harvest any Content on our Services or deep-link to or frame Content on our Services without our specific prior written consent.
- If you publish any Content on our Service, you grant us a worldwide, perpetual, non- exclusive, transferable (with right to sub-license), royalty-free licence to use, copy, alter, display, and create extracts of, or derivative works from, that Content in any media formats, on our own Service, on our other channels including mobile, email communications, social media, PR, competitions and press releases and also on third party media, including for the purpose of redistribution or promotion of our Service. You waive your moral rights in relation to such Content to the extent legally permitted. You also grant each Visitor a licence to use your Content to the extent expressly permitted by these terms and conditions.
- You acknowledge and agree that we may process your personal data in accordance with the terms of our privacy and cookies policy which is subject to change from time to time.
Third party websites
- We may link to third party websites which may be of interest to you. We do not recommend or endorse, nor are we legally responsible for, those sites or the goods or services which they offer. You use such third party sites at your own risk.
“Act of God”
- We are not liable for failure to perform or delay in performing any obligation under this agreement if the failure or delay is caused by any circumstances beyond our reasonable control including third party telecommunication failures.
- We may transfer all or part of our rights or duties under this agreement provided we take reasonable steps to ensure that your rights under this agreement are not prejudiced. As this agreement is personal to you, you may not transfer any of your rights or duties under it without our prior written consent.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law and any disputes will be decided only by the courts of the United Kingdom.
- We may send all notices under this agreement by email to the most recent email address you have supplied to us (unless otherwise stated in this agreement). Headings used in this agreement are for information and not binding. Any failure by either party to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this agreement does not mean this is a “waiver” (ie that it cannot be enforced later). If any part of this agreement is ineffective or unenforceable for any reason, then it will be replaced with a provision which as far as possible achieves the same thing and the rest of the agreement shall continue to apply. A person who is not a party to this agreement shall have no rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this agreement except insofar as expressly stated otherwise. The parties are independent contractors and, except as otherwise specifically stated above, nothing in this agreement constitutes any party as agent, employee or representative of the other.
- If you have any complaints, please contact us via the contact details shown on our website.